Evidenced-Based Topics on Gambling Disorder and Addiction March 23-24, 2017
About the Conference:
Sandia Resort & Casino in partnership with the National Center on Responsible Gaming is pleased to invite you to this free conference on Evidence Based Topics on Gambling Disorder & Addiction!
Sandia Resort & Casino is proud to be New Mexico’s Premier property addressing Responsible Gaming and providing unmatched opportunities for local professionals to increase their knowledge on compulsive gambling treatment, prevention, and education.
This conference will take place at Sandia Resort & Casino, Convention Room C. If you have any questions, please contact Sandia Resort & Casino’s Responsible Gaming Coordinator at (505) 798-7415
March 23, 2017
9.a.m. – Noon
Manualized CBT Group for Diverse Addictive Behaviors
Bruce Liese, Ph.D., A.B.P.P.
Lunch Provided: 12 noon -1 p.m.
1 p.m. – 3p.m.
Gambling Disorder: Similarities and Differences with Substance Use Disorders
Dr. Jon E. Grant
3:30 -5 p.m.
But is it working? How to Measure the Effectiveness of Responsible Gaming Programs and Policies
March 24, 2017
9 a.m. – Noon
Seeking Safety: A Strategy for Addressing Trauma and Addiction
12 noon- end of conference
Continuing Education Approval:
Attendees will receive up to 9.5 Continuing Education Hours.
- The Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC)
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)
Sandia Casino Supports Responsible Gaming
At Sandia Resort & Casino we want all of our customers to enjoy casino gaming as a planned and budgeted entertainment option. We recognize though, that a small percentage of people may have problems gambling responsibly. Sandia Resort & Casino cares about its customers, and is committed to helping those in need of compulsive gambling treatment; Our Responsible Gaming Program helps.
Responsible Gaming refers to practices designed to prevent and reduce potential harms associated with gambling, and more specifically compulsive gambling.
- Gambling should not interfere with your everyday life
- Keeping your gambling under control by setting a dollar limit and time limit
- Become educated on the warning signs and ask for help, if you feel you need it
Compulsive Gambling is defined as a continuous or periodic loss of control over gambling. Problem Gambling is any gambling behavior that disrupts or damages your life.
- Preoccupied with gambling – planning next venture
- Increased Tolerance – the need to gamble with increased amounts
- Lying – Lies to family members or others to conceal the extent of his/her gambling
- Bailout – relies on others to provide money due to losing own money on some form of gambling
- Loss of control – unable to stop gambling
You may have a gambling problem if you:
- Feel the need to be secretive about your gambling. You might gamble in secret or lie about how much you gamble, feeling others won’t understand.
- Have trouble controlling your gambling. Once you start gambling, can you walk away? Or are you compelled to gamble until you’ve spent your last dollar, upping your bets in a bid to win lost money back?
- Gamble even when you don’t have the money. A red flag is when you are getting more and more desperate to recoup your losses. You may gamble until you’ve spent your last dollar, and then move on to money you don’t have.
Treatment for problem gambling
The biggest step in treatment is realizing you have a problem with gambling. It takes tremendous strength and courage to own up to this. Don’t despair, and don’t try to go it alone, we are here to help. Overcoming compulsive gambling is never easy. But recovery and control is possible with treatment. When you are ready, for advice or looking for treatment information, Please contact one of the following:
At Sandia Resort & Casino we offer the Self-Exclusion Program. This procedure offers customers to self-exclude from any form of gambling at Sandia Resort & Casino. It is required for customers to contact the Security Department or the Responsible Gaming Coordinator for more information and to fill out required forms.
Responsible Gaming Coordinator
24 Hour New Mexico Problem Gambling Helpline
Responsible Gaming Department